Thursday 26 March 2009

Five tips for precision thinking

Last night I attended a workshop by speaker and presenter Kate Atkin. It was held in the Borders Bookshop in Cambridge and the only cost was a donation to the local charity, the Papworth Trust.

Kate presented a workshop on Precision Thinking for Confident Outcomes. She got the group to relax very quickly and took us through some very simple and easy to assimilate tips. I won't go into great detail (that's Kate's job), but I can share with you the main outline.

Firstly, and this is not at all unlike the comment I had from a trainer friend who said 'stop playing the failure film', she said we have to control what we think and run 'positive programmes'. Cut out negative messages and thoughts.

Secondly she talked about the language used. We looked at language and split an example into three categories, negative, neutral and positive. Instead of cutting out the negatives, she said cut out the neutrals. Be honest, if you are in a negative, don't mask it with neutrality, but do aspire to convert it to the positive. Using positive language as well as positive programmes will help boost your inner confidence.

Strangely enough I called a friend in the US immediately after the seminar. How are you? I asked. 'OK' she said. Netural answer! The truth was she wasn't feeling well.

Thirdly and very importantly, Kate said we must stay focused. It's too easy to revert to negative thinking and messages so keep that focus.

The next exercise/tip was about posture. She got us all to stand up and think of something good, then something bad (and the posture change was evident). She then asked us to maintain a positive posture and smile broadly whilst thinking of the bad thing. It made it a lot harder to think negatively, so posture (and a smile) do help affect not just how you appear to others, but your own mental processing.

Lastly we discussed breathing, and this I am very familiar with. In fact, I believe it's something we all do! Seriously, breathing deeply and regularly can help calm and relax you - important elements in feeling confident - and provide oxygen to the brain. It's hard to think without enough oxygen.

One very simple tool that Kate gave us was the Confidence Wall. I'll ask her if I can share it with you.

It was a very positive session, and Kate only briefly mentioned her book The Confident Manager and the evening ended with the group chatting and swapping business cards and engaging Kate in further discussion until the shop closed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Great posting!
    I wanted to add to the 5 points;
    I have come across many people (myself included) who use what I call 'weak language'. They believe they're being confident, but in fact a single word in a sentence makes it weak. This is particularly relevant to women in business. "Just" "Only" "Do you mind if" .... you get the gist. This is really important to focus on (and in fact I'm just writing a chapter of my book on this).
    The other point was that when breathing deeply, it is important to breathe from the right place! Many people breathe deeply, but raise their shoulders. This causes a lot of tension in the neck, shoulder and upper chest area - and affects your body language and vocal quality.
    Why don't we meet up sometime? I'm in Hatfield and it would be great to meet up finally !!!!
    Susan http://www.executivevoice.co.uk
    http://www.executivevoiceblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points Susan. I'll drop you an email. This is definitely a subject we can expand upon.

    ReplyDelete