Friday 14 November 2008

Irritating words!

I read an article on an AOL site called Lemondrop today - about words that irritate. I couldn't help but smile at the first phrase to appear under office jargon:

Office Jargon: team-building, value-added, grassroots, reach out, multitasking, no-brainer, low-hanging fruit, monetize, ping.

My additions would be: outside the box, pick a window, and 'strategically' (when it's used in totally the wrong context).

There were also top hated unnecessary conjunctions and transitions:

Unnecessary Conjunctions and Transitions: no offense but ..., all of the sudden, basically, ironically, actually, honestly, totally, hopefully, as to whether, I swear to God, you know.

My additions would be: actually (yes, I know they mentioned it already, I feel that strongly about it!), one (as in one should, or one must ... it's you or me mate, not this amorphous 'one'!) and, of course, the word that my kids seem to use as the most prolific transition - like. Well, like, you know, like, what, like, yeah? Of course! I understand perfectly.

And, bearing in mind this is from a US site:

Misused/Mispronounced Phrases: irregardless (for "regardless"), aggravate (for "irritate"), anyways/towards (anyway, toward), for all intensive purposes (for "for all intents and purposes"), suppose to (for "supposed to"), could of (for "could have"), analyzing/analyzation (for "analysis"), literally (when meant figuratively).

Isn't language fun? I can't help but notice wrong uses of words in conversation or writing and sometimes it's amazing where you find them. The internet seems to proliferate misuse even further. You have to get creative with search engine terms and think of not just UK/US spellings, but also mis-spellings and mis-typing.

My pet hate of all, however, is:

TXT SPK.

I have noticed an increase in its use not just in texting, but in emails, on forums and even on websites. George Orwell may have been a bit out with his date for 'Newspeak' (1984), but he's been scarily right about so many things...

No comments:

Post a Comment